Pages

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Naalum Vanangum Theivam (Deivam) Enge?

I managed to catch a wonderful movie yesterday, Vaanam [Vaanam - Tamil Movie from South India directed by Krish and produced by VTV Ganesh - Year of Release 2011]. The lead played by Simbhu, Bharath and Prakash Raj. Some may say that movies does not need a message; All I want is some entertainment! For me, a message is the ultimate of a film and the a reasoning for a filmmaker.I have been in the production and entertainment industry for more than a decade now. So I believe I have some credibility to comment :)

I would say it was a great job done for a Tamil movie. I always prefer a simple and humble plot which reflects people's daily life. I am not fond of super rich characters, super-fiction movies which gives you an imaginative world to the audience. Well, I can dream all I want but the reality is what is there on the table.

Story revolves around 5 different characters whom by co-incidence will meet and be at the same place towards the ending of the film. All 5 characters reflects the normal people that you will probably see around you, people like you and me. Middle Class Citizens who leads a normal daily life with happiness, sad stories, problems and so on. But there is a lesson learned by each of the character.

Shots and camera work is genuine. Music is good. Cast selection is excellent. Screenplay is fast even though I felt the song "Evandi Unne Pethan" is unnecessary. But the director and team would have done that to add some commercial value. "Theivam Valvathu Enge" song is fantastic, and it comes as background score throughout the movie which adds value to the scenes. Simbhu and Prakash Raj did a great job. Bharath is not that prominent but he plays an important role too. Saranya and her uncle was a great selection and Saranya well deserve the National Award.

Now there are two scenes in the movie that really touched me;

When Simbhu could not overcome his guilt and decided to break the truth to his girlfriend, he returned the stolen money including whatever he had in his pockets; Saranya's uncle found the cash in front of the hospital room; when he cried out loudly thanking god I cried as well;

After all the incidents, towards end of the movie the policeman who never believed Prakash Raj from day one, insulted and hit him many times, put him behind bars and shot his leg, came to drop Prakash Raj back to his house; the look and the expression of the policeman crying and asking for forgiveness without saying a single word and the reaction of Prakash Raj's character whom silently holds him and forgives him; I could not hold my emotions and cried again;

There are two things that I learned, realizing ones (my) mistake and asking for forgiveness and the heart to forgive no matter how cruel the others have been to you.

No matter, whom do you believe in as your God, no matter how hard you pray, forgiving and asking forgiveness is the god within you.

Theivam Valvathu Inge . . . .

1 comment: